The district of Farai
The ancient name of Kalamata in the most ideal location.
The name Farai carries in it the history of old Kalamata.
According to Pausanias, the ancient name of the city, Farai, stems from the demigod Faris (or Pharis), who, according to mythology, was the son of the god Hermes. Faris also had some royal blood running in his veins from the side of his mother, Philodameia, the daughter of the king of Argos, Danaos.
Farai is mentioned as one of the seven cities that Agamemnon offered Achilles so that the latter would put an end to his anger and marry one of the former’s three daughters.
Homer refers to the city as “Firai” (Pherai) or “Firi” (Phere). Xenophon calls it “Ferai” (Pherai).
A little further up is the district Giannitsa, which is where people from the northern city of Giannitsa settled when they ‘descended’ to the south. In 1956, the area was renamed Farai and is to this day the most loved eastern suburb of Kalamata.
Farai: ideal home location—at a glance:
- Peaceful, sparsely populated and newly built suburb.
- Direct connection to Lakonikis and Avras streets.
- Frequent bus connection to the city center.
- Ideal location for walks, relaxation, concentration, contact with nature.
- The sea and the seaside Navarinou street are merely 15 minutes away on foot, 5 minutes away on bicycle and 3 minutes away by car.
- Uninhibited views of Mount Taygetos and Mount Kalathi.
- Direct access to the peripheral beaches of Kalamata (Verga to Kitries) & the road to Mani (Kardamyli, Stoupa, Agios Nikolaos, Oitylo, Limeni, Areopolis).
- Easy access to the intersection of the ring road connecting Kalamata with Athens and
- 10′ off the center of Kalamata.